BJCP Rank or Status:
Honorary Grand Master
Descriptor Definitions (Mark all that apply):
- Green apple-like aroma and flavor. Acetaldehyde
- The aroma, flavor, and warming effect of ethanol and higher alcohols. Sometimes described as hot Alcoholic
- Puckering, lingering harshness and/or dryness in the finish/aftertaste; harsh graininess; huskiness. Astringent
- Artificial butter, butterscotch, or toffee aroma and flavor. Sometimes perceived as a slickness on the tongue. Diacetyl
- At low levels a sweet, cooked or
canned corn-like aroma and flavor. DMS
- Aroma and/or flavor of any ester (fruits, fruit
flavorings, or roses). Estery
- Aroma/flavor of fresh-cut grass or green leaves. Grassy
Similar to the aroma of a skunk. Light-Struck
- Tinny, coiny, copper, iron, or blood-like flavor. Metallic
- Stale, musty, or moldy aromas/flavors. Musty
- Any one or combination of stale, winy/vinous,
cardboard, papery, or sherry-like aromas and flavors. Oxidized
- Spicy (clove, pepper), smoky, plastic, plastic adhesive strip, and/or medicinal (chlorophenolic). Phenolic
- Aromas and flavors of
higher alcohols (fuselalcohols). Similar to acetone or lacquer thinner aromas. Solvent
- Tartness in aroma and flavor. Can be sharpand clean (lactic acid), or vinegar-like (acetic acid). Sour/Acidic
- The aroma of rotten eggs or burning matches. Sulfur
- Cooked, canned, or rotten vegetable aroma and
flavor (cabbage, onion, celery, asparagus, etc.) Vegetal
- A bready, sulfury or yeast-like aroma or flavor Yeasty
Not to Style
Outstanding (45-50): World-class example of style.
Excellent (38-44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning.
Very Good (30-37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws.
Good (21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws.
Fair (14 - 20):Off flavors/aromas or major style deficiencies. Unpleasant.
Problematic (00 - 13):Major off flavors and aromas dominate. Hard to drink.
14B American IPA
Bottle Inspection: Appropriate size, cap, fill level, label removal, etc.
Aroma (as appropriate for style)
Comment on malt, hops, esters and other aromatics.
Appearance (as appropriate for style)
Comment on color, clarity and head (retention, color and texture).
Flavor (as appropriate for style)
Comment on malt, hops, fermentation characteristics, balance, finish/aftertaste and other flavor characteristics.
Mouthfeel (as appropriate for style)
Comment on body, carbonation, warmth, creaminess, astringency and other palate sensations.
Comment on overall drinking pleasure associated with entry, give suggestions for improvment.
Total / 50